This week’s recipe comes from Sprouted Kitchen, a healthy food blog we stumbled upon recently. The baked herb and pistachio falafel is a healthy, yummy source of protein that can be eaten alone or thrown into a salad, sandwich or lettuce wrap.
- 12 sprigs of mint
- 12 sprigs of parsley or cilantro
- 1 cup of pistachio nuts (shelled)
- 2 cups of chickpeas (cooked or canned)
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1/2 of a small yellow onion
- 3 tbsp. of olive oil
- 1 tsp. of ground cumin
- 1 tbsp. of flour
- 1 tsp. of baking soda
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Cover a baking sheet with parchment paper or foil.
- Chop the herbs in a food processor. Add the pistachio nuts and chop again. Add the chickpeas, garlic, onion, oil, cumin, flour and baking soda and blend for thirty seconds.
- Make about 20 small round falafels from the mixture. Place them on the baking sheet and bake for 15 minutes. Flip halfway through.
The author of Sprouted Kitchen includes a recipe for a tomato chili salsa that would pair well with the falafel. Mix the ingredients below in a bowl and combine with falafel.
- 2 cups of diced tomatoes
- 1/2 small red chile (seeded and chopped)
- 1 garlic clove
- 2 tbsp. of olive oil
- 1 tbsp. fresh oregano (chopped)
- salt and pepper