Today we start our 12 week series on healthy eating! Each week we’ll feature a different recipe that we think is both tasty and good for you. Today we’re focusing on Pasta with Spring Greens. We hope you look forward to making this yummy dish after your Pilates session this week!
You may be asking yourself: “What are the benefits of the key ingredients in this recipe?” Maybe you weren’t, but we’re here to tell you anyway! We all know that when we work out (and do Pilates), we feel good. Well when we eat well, we feel well, too – “eat good, feel good!” So just what makes these ingredients so special?
Kale: Contains Vitamins A, C and K; 3 grams of protein; folate for brain development; omega-3 fatty acids; 2.5 grams of fiber to manage blood sugar; cancer-fighting substances; and helps lower cholesterol.
Spinach: Aids in diabetes management, cancer prevention, asthma prevention, lowering blood pressure, bone health, promotes regularity and healthy skin & hair.
Baby Swiss Chard: Contains Vitamins K, A, and C; magnesium; potassium; iron; and fiber. Aids in lowering blood pressure, fighting cancer, diabetes management, osteoporosis prevention and improving athletic performance.
- 8 cups (9 oz.) packed baby Swiss chard, baby kale or spinach (or any other green you prefer)
- 1 tbsp. salt
- 1/2 lb. (8 oz.) orecchiette
- 6 tbsp. unsalted butter
- 1 cup walnuts
- 1/4 cup of grated Pecorino or Parmigiano
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Put greens of your choice in a large bowl. Cover them with cold water and let sit for a few minutes. Drain greens using a colander.
- Put water in a large pot and boil. Add a tablespoon of salt and stir in the pasta.
- Melt the butter over medium heat in a large pan. Turn the heat off after the butter begins to brown.
- Toast the walnuts (about 10 minutes) until browned in a small pan over medium heat (or toast the walnuts on a baking sheet at 350F for 8 to 10 minutes). After toasting, put the walnuts in a tea towel and rub together to remove skin. Put walnuts in a sieve and shake to remove any additional skin. Set aside.
- Boil pasta. Reserve one half cup of the cooking liquid and set aside. Drain pasta over the colander with the greens.
- Heat the brown butter on medium or medium-high heat again. Add the pasta, greens and walnuts to the pan and toss. Grate cheese over top and toss.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Optional: Add the pasta cooking liquid you set aside.